My local council has been named and shamed as bottom of the league; one of two described pretty much as “worst in the universe.” I don't know the ins and outs of it, I'm sure a shedload of money has been squandered, filched and otherwise re-routed - but that's politics and power. Numbered beasts, in my opinion; no matter what colour they claim to be, fire and brimstone always "out" themselves.
My little haven nestles, purring, in the shelter of a steep banking - beautiful with grass and trees planted to hold the soil firm. At the top there's a block of flats with a common walkway. Vandals broke the fence. The council guys have been fixing it. It's very dark on that walkway so they have also installed a new streetlight, replacing 3 others while they were at it. Now I know it's small stuff - but it's real. Repairing a fence because it's right to do so is as karmically significant as saving the planet.
These little things could so easily have been ignored. Who would know? I live on the outskirts of a conglomerately rundown but highly spirited city. My street is invisible and who uses a back walkway at night anyway?
What I'm saying is that I'm impressed - touched - by thoughtfulness that did not ignore. You can label it health and safety all you like … I still think it's about caring.
Among concrete edifices there are flowers. I'll never know “who” sent the workmen out to fix my street -
but I'm smiling Thank You.