It's strangely true that I'm still in recovery from teaching. It's only now, 7 years out of it, that I can bear to read or talk about it. That I can try to answer the phone, write with a pen, make a list or see a crowd of youngsters fill mid-afternoon. I still have difficulty holding onto simple detail, following basic directions, breathing in a crowd (four is max capacity.) Not-keeping-track of conversations has, at last, become a-musing to myself and friends rather than excrutiating social phobia.A moment changes everything. Revelation strips you brutally, suddenly, no preamble. Here. Now. That's it. Done.
Ill with flu and stress, Jenna dropped the folder that had devoured yet another weekend. Everything spilled onto the floor, the metal teeth that held her life spat it out. Gazing at eviscerated, shiny lesson plans drowning in a hundred other pressing matters, all in triplicate, Jenna cried. Quietly. Incessantly. Her partner found her there, still kneeling on the floor, an hour later. Still gazing. Still crying. This beautiful, strong woman who is pathologically unwilling to cry. Ever. She who held my world aloft on her shoulders when it was crushing mine.Almost beyond breath she keened "no.can't.do.this.any.more."
The utterly naked enormity of that moment guts passion with a butcher's grace.